This year we hope to continue prior years very successful Youth Exhibit and Styling Competition in 2017. As in 2015, the Competition will be held in the public venue at the Florida Hotel on Saturday morning. Young people are the future of bonsai. It is important that we do everything we can to encourage them to participate in our beloved art form. Jim VanLandingham, Florida Artist and a person who is dedicated to working with young people who have caught ‘the bonsai bug’, will assist in coordinating the event.
- Youth Exhibit and Styling Competition is open to young people who are between the ages of 10 and 18 who are accompanied by an adult who is registered for the 2017 Convention. Participants will receive free Convention registration, exclusive of meals.
- Participants are strongly encouraged to bring a finished bonsai that they have styled and maintained. These bonsai will be displayed Saturday morning in the public venue during the styling competition.
- Participants will arrive in the public venue at 9:00 a.m. The actual styling competition will take place during the time frame from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon to complete their project. The actual amount of time will be determined by Jim VanLandingham.
- Plant material used in the competition will be the same species for all participants and it will be provided by ABS/BSF. Completed material may be purchased by participants at BSF cost. Remaining completed material will be raffled for the benefit of ABS/BSF during the Convention in order to cover costs.
- Each participant will work alone with no help from anyone in the audience (particularly parents), except that Jim will be available to answer questions and provide logistical support as needed.
- Each participant will receive a ribbon for participating with one tree receiving a first place ribbon.
- There must be a minimum of 5 participants in the 2017 competition. The Competition will be cancelled in the event that there are less than 5 entries.
- The Competition will be limited to 10 participants on a first come, first serve basis.
- Participants need to bring all their own tools, wire and material for this event. Power tools may not be used in this event.
- Previous first place winners are not eligible to participate.
- Any young people wishing to compete in this event must pre register by sending an email to me at email@example.com . Please include name, birthdate, address, club affiliation, and a short synopsis of your bonsai experience.
- The deadline for all submissions will be March 1, 2017.
This provides a great learning opportunity for participants and fun for observers as well. Good luck to all!
I look forward to getting your application email!!
Donna Iannotti, Scholarship, Youth Styling and Competition