An important, very interesting and educational event at prior conventions has been Scholarship Competition. This year is very special and the BSF Scholarship Competition will be held in conjunction with the ABS/Joshua Roth New Talent Competition!
We plan to have the event in the Florida Hotel on Thursday, May 25, 2017 from 9 AM to 5 PM. Note both the change in the normal day for the competition and the additional time for the competition. Judging of the trees will be done by a team of our Seminar teachers. Plant material will be provided by the ABS/BSF (established Juniper procumbens, parsonii or shimpaku), the same species being provided to all competitors. Hopefully this will create a level playing field and result in more interest in the Competition as well.
IMPORTANT – Some participants may be eligible for both the BSF Scholarship Competition and the ABS/Joshua Roth New Talent Competition (NTC), if they meet the eligibility criteria. Prior BSF Scholarship winners who have been involved in bonsai for less than 10 years are automatically eligible for the NTC and can find more information regarding the Contest, the prizes and the required “Declaration Form” at absbonsai.org
- The BSF Scholarship competition is open to all BSF members over 18 years of age and who are registered for the 2017 Convention, but who have never won first place in any styling competition in prior years. Prior year competitors are welcome. Prior years’ Youth Competition winners who are not over 18 years of age and whose parents/guardians are registered for the 2017 Convention, are eligible for the Scholarship competition on a space available basis. They will not be eligible for prize money.
- There is no fee to participate and competitors may buy their completed trees at cost ($100-$125). Trees not purchased and taken away on Saturday night will be auctioned following the banquet on Sunday night.
- Each competitor will have from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 25, 2016 to complete his or her project.
- Each competitor will work alone with no help from anyone in the audience.
- Prize money will be awarded to first and second place in the BSF Scholarship Competition, with first place being $1,000 and second place $600!!
- There must be 5 people competing for the 2017 Competition to award first place prize money. The Competition will be cancelled in the event that there are less than 5 entries.
- There must be 7 or more people competing for both first and second to be awarded.
- The number of participants in the Competition will be limited and submissions will be considered on a first come, first served basis.
- First place winner will return the following year at the 2018 BSF Convention to give two demonstrations with material provided by BSF.
- Second place winner, if awarded, will return and give one demonstration at the 2018 BSF Convention with material provided by BSF.
- The money is awarded to the winners for the sole purpose of education. The winners will receive the money to study under an artist(s) of their choice, attend bonsai events or related activity, and they must use the money to further their bonsai education.
- The winners will need prior approval of education plans by to make sure the training meets the training criteria set forth.
- Competitors need to bring all their own tools, wire and materials for this event. Any power tools needing a power source must have an extension cord to reach the outlet and must be provided by the competitor.
- Anyone wishing to compete in this event must pre register by sending an email to me at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include name, address, club affiliation or at large membership status, and a short synopsis of your bonsai experience.
- The deadline for all submissions will be February 26, 2017, but do not wait to submit since availability of slots is limited.
This provides a great learning opportunity for participants and fun for observers as well. Good luck to all! I look forward to getting your application email!!
Scholarship Chair 2017